I’m Shayne: WordPress MU & WP ecommerce

September 12, 2009

Speaker: Shayne Sanderson
WP & WPMU: Ecommerce

One of the big criticisms I hear about WordPress.com is that they don’t want you to make money off your site, . Well, it’s not that they don’t want you to make money–they just don’t want you to use WordPress.com, they want you to use WordPress.org. Doesn’t seem like that’s changed much but here’s an interesting option for making money using a WordPress platform–using WordPress MU.

Which is what Shayne wants to talk about. WordPress MU is a WordPress option which allows multiple users–hence, the MU. It seems like a WordPress version of a ning, which would be great because I’m not that thrilled with nings I’ve used, and we’ve (Danika Dinsmore, Tod McCoy and I) have talked about doing something along those lines for the 3:15 Experiment and for experimental and conceptual poetry.

So now he’s getting to the money part. WordPress MU can now merge with WP Ecommerce. SO you can have a group of people each with their own blogs –and they can each have their own sales shops. WP MU Ecommerce allows blog owners to have an online shop, completely independent of main install with easily managed themes etc

Who would like to use this? Organizations like a school. For example, the PTA could own an MU. Each class could have a blog and along the way, sell products.

For more info: mu.wordpress.org . Get the Ecommerce plug-in at instinct.co.nz.

Sounds like to get started is very low cost and free especially if you’re not selling a lot of products. There’s some glitches still of course but it sounds like it’s just about good to go.

Check it out www.shayneanderson.com

He’s promised to put his presentation on his site and when he does I’ll try to link it. It’s really quite funny. The picture of Matt Mullenweg is priceless and worth the price of admission alone. to put it online at his site. Who is he? They say:

Shayne Sanderson – “WP Ecommerce and WPMU: Ecommerce for your MU powered site”

Shayne has 10 years of experience in web development & graphic design. Working primarily with CMS applications like WordPress. He is the main line of support for Instinct Entertainment, makers of WP ECommerce and spends his time writing code, troubleshooting problems and being an overall cool guy.

1. September 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Thanks for the nice words!

The presentation is online and available on my site, but here’s a link for you anyway.

http://www.shaynesanderson.com will be online the way it is (for MU/Ecommerce testing) for at least a month probably, so don’t get attached to your sites as I will wipe it out at some point :)

2. September 29, 2009 7:16 am

WordPress MU still have bug for bandwith?

3. September 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Shayne, I appreciate your stopping by and dropping off those links!

DarthPatT, Sorry, but I don’t have the answer to your question. Possibly if you check out the links Shayne left, you’ll know. Or maybe Shayne subscribed to this comment feed and will respond here

4. September 29, 2009 5:12 pm

@DarthPatT –

I’m not aware of any bandwidth bugs with WordPress MU…

You could always check here though:

5. September 29, 2009 5:17 pm

Thank you so much Shayne for checking back and helping out! (well, at least answering the question!) You’re a gentleman and a champ!

6. September 29, 2009 5:21 pm

No problem…glad to help (if a link to a forum is help!)…but I’m not aware of any bandwith issues with MU…except for the fact that you can limit the amount of storage on user’s sites…but I don’t think that was the question..

7. November 1, 2009 11:45 am

thanks!
    You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.It will greatly help me in my activities.
    Thanks though, i’m glad some people share good stuff like this! It will greatly help me in my activities
    Great job !:)
    Cari Uang Di Internet

8. April 8, 2010 3:32 pm

I’ve used the WP Ecommerce plugin on three WordPress sites and it’s worked well so far on all of them.

I’m planning to set up my first WPMU site soon, and want to offer shops to individual blog owners, so this is good news.

Has anyone had any experience of actually implementing this plugin on WPMU. If so, was it easy and successful? Did you install the Gold Cart?

9. September 10, 2010 10:18 pm

Hey Shayne, I have been beating my head on the wall trying to get SEO options to work with WPEC.

I installed the All in one SEO pack and that works good for keywords and description etc.. but what I really need is a way to make a different title tag and H1 header.

Have you found a way to do this? I have been searching online for days.. and only things that gave me hope was learning you were a guru with this software..and the possiblity that 3.8 might have the features already?

Thanks