600 Writers Say NO TRUMP; Bernie Sanders Visits Ventura, Santa Barbara
More than 600 American writers, including Stephen King, Junot Diaz, Cheryl Strayed and Dave Eggers, signed an “open letter to the American people” pledging to oppose Donald Trump’s candidacy saying, in part:
- because Trump “deliberately appeals to the basest and most violent elements in society”
- because he “denigrates women and minorities.”
- “because the history of dictatorship is the history of manipulation and division, demagoguery and lies”
- “because neither wealth nor celebrity qualifies anyone to speak for the United States,to lead its military, to maintain its alliances, or to represent its people.”
- “for all these reasons, we, the undersigned, as a matter of conscience, oppose, unequivocally, the candidacy of Donald J. Trump for the presidency of the United States.”
What’s the alternative?
Please join me on Thursday, May 26, at Ventura College 4667 Telegraph Rd. where Bernie Sanders will attend a mid-day Rally before moving north to Santa Barbara! RSVP here: https://go.berniesanders.com/page/event/detail/rally/gpgw5t
Ventura College expects approximately 8,000 visitors to the campus; the college student body ranges from 12,000-13,000.
The gate opens at 9am; Bernie is scheduled to speak at 1pm.
Anticipate that parking may be a challenge this Thursday between 9am and 3pm and there will be road closures in the area.
Gates open at the Ventura College West Field at 10am (UPDATE: 9am!) and the event is expected to last until approximately 2pm with Bernie Sanders on stage at approximately 1pm.
Please arrive early to get through the security check: West Campus Way right by the baseball field. For security reasons, please do not bring bags and limit what you bring to small, personal items like keys and cell phones. Weapons, sharp objects, chairs, and signs or banners will not be allowed through security.
· Parking should overflow into the surrounding neighborhoods.
· Open Parking Lots – West, North, East
· Closed Parking Lots – V, SW, C, S
Parking is available on the West and East lots of the college campus and on public streets; carpooling is always encouraged.
Public transit offered by Gold Coast Transit District: Use the Telegraph/Estates stop. From Oxnard take Route 6, from Ojai take Route 16 to Route 10, from East Ventura take Route 10, and from Port Hueneme take Route 21.
· Ventura police will be monitoring the flow of traffic and take appropriate action as needed.
If you are planning to attend the rally, please be advised that security will not be permitting attendees to bring bags, weapons, sharp objects, chairs, or signs/banners on sticks.
Two days after his Thursday rally at Ventura College, on Saturday May 28, Bernie Sanders will speak for free Saturday morning at Santa Barbara City College’s Great Meadow, 721 Cliff Drive.
Doors open at 7 a.m. for “A Future to Believe In Santa Barbara Rally,” to which spectators are encouraged to RSVP on his campaign website.
For security reasons, audience members shouldn’t bring bags or backpacks — keys and cellphones are all that’s recommended — and weapons, sharp objects, chairs, signs, and banners on sticks won’t be allowed into the event.
The presidential candidate then travels to Santa Maria High School’s Wilson Stadium, 901 South Broadway, for a same-day rally, with doors opening at 10:30 a.m. Bus lines 5 and 6 will shuttle people to Broadway and Morrison (right outside the high school), and carpooling is strongly recommended.