When I’m Island Caretaker (3)

February 21, 2009
When I am living on Hamilton Island as caretaker of the Islands of the Great Barrier Reef, I will take seriously my duties as “caretaker.” What do I mean by this?

When I am living and blogging on Hamilton Island as caretaker of the Islands of the Great Barrier Reef, I will take seriously my duties as “caretaker.” What do I mean by this?

I mean I will soak up every possible experience, take advantage of every minute, revel in the opportunities extended!

I mean I will spend every day very ACTIVELY–exploring the Islands on the ground, in the sea, and by air!

I mean I will share these adventurers and explorations in regular blog posts chock full of stories and images!

I mean I will motivate people to come to the Great Barrier Reef!

I mean I will inspire people to take care of their own backyards–and in the process, take care of everyone’s backyard!

Go here to see my video and what I mean.

While there’s a lot to be said for serendipity, I intend to have a rigorous schedule in order to experience as much as possible and to convey it by blog post, video, audio, and photographs.

After all, it is a JOB and I didn’t get from Mexico to Canada backpacking by sitting around the lake in camp all day, if you know what I mean.

By the time I get to Hamilton Island July 1, with advice from Queensland Tourism, I will have organized a rough itinerary–and developed a schedule for blog posts with special features each day of the week to keep people coming back to the site on a regular basis. Just like now, I am sure I will want to blog every day because that’s what I am–a blogger! And isn’t that what they’re looking for? Someone to blog about the Great Barrier Reef with passion and wit and with adventures galore to write about?

I know the most busiest days on blogs is early in the week, with most bloggers experiencing their highest stats on Mondays. So it makes sense to have a good, solid, post ready and up on Sunday Queensland time for Monday readers. Each week of 26 weeks would feature something different, and each post on a different topic. Each week would also offer ways that folks back home can help to protect the planet and the Great Barrier.

And that’s what I REALLY mean by caretaking–engaging people’s hearts, minds, and souls so that they are committed to helping to save the planet and the reef by actions they can take at home.

I want the reef and the natural world to be around in its stunningly rich diversity for ever.

(photo of Hammocks on Dunk Island Beach by JC Brown69; image found here.)

1. February 21, 2009 10:27 pm

Cool bananas. I’m looking forward to it greatly.

2. Paul permalink
    February 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Awesome! Here’s mine, it rocks- literally!
    -P

3. Paul permalink
    February 22, 2009 4:43 am

I submitted a video that literally rocks. Check it out.

4. February 22, 2009 8:57 am

Googd luck.

Hey if you watn to picnh any of my Hamilton photos go ahead. would love a link back to which site you took it from though …

I own both sites ( among others ) and they are all my photos so go ahead – if you want any more pics I have heaps of really cool wide angle pics, beach pics with polaroid filter in front of it etc etc

PaulfromQLD

5. February 22, 2009 10:14 am

Very nice!

6. February 22, 2009 3:05 pm

Paul, that is so generous of you to offer! I am sure I will take you up on it–very soon! Thank you!