Limbaugh Hopes Obama Fails — How 80,000 Respond

February 1, 2009

Remember my inaugural day post reporting on Rush Limbaugh’s bad faith words about Barack Obama’s presidency: “I hope he fails”? Over 80,000 outraged and disgusted people like me signed a Democratic Congressional Campaign petition about that issue–so many people that MSM (mainstream media) outlets picked up on the story!

Here’s a short video where you can hear Limbaugh’s words yourself and find info to sign the petition, too. No matter what your politics, maybe you even agree at times with Limbaugh–in this case his negativity is outright WRONG! Let’s make it a million signers on that petition!

Vodpod videos no longer available.

more about “Limbaugh Hoped President Obama Fails …“, posted with vodpod

Dear Friend,

This week, you did what seemed impossible – you drowned out Rush Limbaugh. Thanks to you, Rush and his Republican followers in Congress got a taste of what they’re in for if they keep attacking President Obama and Democrats working for change. Rush himself predicted that we would exceed our goal in signatures to our petition drive against him. Maybe for the first time ever, he was right about something. Over 80,000 of you signed our petition to break the back of Rush Limbaugh style politics. Your response was so overwhelming that you caught the attention of media outlets like CNN, Fox News, and Air America. Not to mention Rush himself.  More than ever, the party of Rush Limbaugh has proved that they are out of touch, out of ideas, and just plain out to lunch. And thanks to you, those Republicans in Congress who keep supporting Rush by standing against change will soon be out of a job. Thanks again for standing strong.

Brian Wolff,  Executive Director, DCCC

UPDATE February 2–Also from my in-box:

Dear MoveOn member,

President Obama has a plan to create or save 3 million jobs. But did you hear what Rush Limbaugh said?

“I hope he fails.”1

Limbaugh might just get his way: he already helped convince every single House Republican to vote against the bill.

Now his listeners are calling Congress to oppose the stimulus plan, and senators are mostly hearing from folks who oppose Obama’s plan. The calls are scaring swing-vote senators—even Senate Democrats are saying they may oppose the stimulus.2

The vote is expected any day. We’ve got to turn the tide quickly. Can you call and ask Senators Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer to support President Obama’s economic stimulus plan?

Senator Dianne Feinstein
Phone: 202-224-3841

Senator Barbara Boxer
Phone: 202-224-3553

Then, please report your call by clicking here:

Obama’s stimulus plan will help real people, not the Wall Street banks. It’s not perfect, but it’s targeted on stimulating the economy immediately and investing wisely in long-term growth:3

• Millions of green jobs to double our clean energy production in three years.4 Affordable health care for the unemployed.5 The biggest investment in education since World War II—enough to “avert literally hundreds of thousands of teacher layoffs.”6
  • Almost 200 economists from across the political spectrum sent an urgent letter to Congress endorsing the stimulus plan. They write:

“The plan proposes important investments that can start to overcome the nation’s damaging loss of jobs by saving or creating millions of jobs and put the United States back onto a sustainable long-term growth path. We do not have the luxury of a lengthy debate over the best course of action. This legislation may not be enough to solve all the economy’s problems, but it is urgently needed and an important step in the right direction.”7

Rush Limbaugh and other right-wingers don’t think the government should help people survive tough economic times. And they don’t want Obama to gain momentum for other progressive goals, like ending the war and making sure everyone gets health care.

Please call and ask Senators Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer to support President Obama’s economic stimulus plan. Senator Dianne Feinstein
    Phone: 202-224-3841

Senator Barbara Boxer
    Phone: 202-224-3553

After you call, let us know here:

Thanks for all you do.

–Noah, Ilyse, Matt, Tanya and the rest of the team

P.S. You can read the complete legislative text of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 at:

Sources:
    1. “Dittoheads,” Americans United for Change,” January 30, 2009

2. “Sen. Conrad: ‘I’d have a very hard time voting’ for recovery package as it stands,” ThinkProgress, January 30, 2009

“Nelson ‘Undecided’ On Recovery Plan: ‘I Don’t Even Know How Many Democrats Will Vote For It As It Stands’,” ThinkProgress, January 30, 2009

3. “GOP may vote no, but economists back Obama stimulus,” McClatchy Newspapers, January 27, 2009

4. “American Recovery and Reinvestment Act,” Speaker Nancy Pelosi, January 27, 2009

“American Recovery and Reinvestment Act,” Senate Finance Committee, February 2, 2009

5. Ibid.

6. “Stimulus Plan Would Provide Flood of Aid to Education,” The New York Times, January 27, 2009

7. “Letter to Congress: Economists Across the Spectrum Endorse Stimulus Package,” Center for American Progress, January 27, 2009

1. February 1, 2009 6:23 am

Well, there you go again. He said, if Obama wants this country to head for socialism, he hopes he fails, as do we all. You don’t get it, Rush is using talant on loan from God, Obama thinks he is God. I would love to have the pitition thato keep censorship alive and well. I ran out of toilet paper.

2. February 1, 2009 6:34 am

Bob, I do get it. I am a socialist, certainly more of a socialist than Obama will ever be. What terrifies you most is probably what I am most thrilled about. In fact, I am one of those “femi-nazis” that Limbaugh rails against.

With regards to Limbaugh on Obama, from the transcript of the show I read (which is linked to on this blog) it seems to me Limbaugh’s against whatever programs Obama might try just because Obama’s a Democrat. The Republicans have been in charge for 8 years and if you ask me, the country is in a horrible mess, with more and more people losing their jobs and their homes every day, following years of loss of life, particularly in Iraq and Afghanistan. That’s blood on Republican hands, the same Republican hands which have been raking in the cash.

Odd that you say Obama thinks he is God; where does that idea come from? Also, I hope you don’t mind that I cleared up your mechanical errors–let me know if they were intentional. I know on your site you say you hate censorship so I don’t want you to think you are being censored. Actually, I changed my mind–guess I’ll just let your comment stand. We all make errors every day.

Did you notice the amount of censorship that went on during the Bush administration? Did you do anything about that?

3. February 1, 2009 4:49 pm

hoping that the president fails is, by definition, un-american. there is no discussion to be had about this. limbaugh’s statement is the most pathetic kind of bad-faith, sour grapes anti-patriotism that he is constantly calling others out for. i’ll sign.

4. February 1, 2009 5:02 pm

i see the author of some of my favorite books was here! i am a fan of Bob D. Caterino!

anyway, being one of the few republicans on our little blog, i agree with bob, i am sure that doesn’t come as a big surprise.

5. February 1, 2009 5:03 pm

of course my liberal Obama voting wife (tothewire)would strongly disagree with me…hehehe

6. February 2, 2009 4:52 am

“Rush is using talent on loan from God.” Must be a strange God who wishes failure on the good hearted.

7. February 2, 2009 4:40 pm

Well, Lawman2, I’m glad to see there’s some sense in the house! I also appreciate your opinion and if you respect Bob, maybe I’ll go give him another look. It just seemed his comment was so generic, I had wondered if he’s gone bounding around the web, looking for relevant places to drop this little bomb of a comment…

And thanks, also, to To The Wire for listing this post on The Top 5 for the week!

8. February 8, 2009 10:44 pm

I would like a list including all of Rush Limbaugh’s sponsors, so I can be sure “none” of my hard- earned monies go to anything or anyone that support his type of trash-talk. Is this type-of-bad mouthing what our society has digressed to? My mother and father taught me as a young child to “NOT” say or wish bad things to happen even to my enemies. Obviously, someone has a problem and money seems to have dulled their senses to God’s Golden Rule. I would like to have a sponsor list, so has to lessen to those sponsors, my contributions, who indirectly take my money and give it to such recipients, I do not support. Thanks and Pray for this great country and support it’s government to make the “RIGHT CHOICES” for all AMERICANS in these PERILOUS times ahead.

9. CONCERNED permalink
      February 9, 2009 3:51 am

RUSH I THINK YOU ARE THE WORST TYPE OF RACIST THERE IS I BELIEVE YOU ONLY SAID THAT BECAUSE A BLACK MAN WON FOR PRESIDENT, I NEVER HEARD ANYTHING LIKE THIS WHEN BILL CLINTON WON FOR PRESIDENT STOP THE HATE MAN LETS PRAY THAT THIS COUNTRY MAKE A TURN AROUND FOR THE BETTER

10. February 28, 2009 9:29 pm

Rush Limbaugh’s statements are full of hate, The man preaches evil, the man is not happy within ,the man has no peace within.I think he is about to meet hi maker because God does not appreciate a man who uses The Word to preach hate.
      I’listened to his address on Saturday 29th of February 2009.
      I’was sick to my stomarch. Republicans had a good 8 years to B’S!!!!!! your economy

1. Posts about Rush Limbaugh as of January 31, 2009 » The Daily Parr