Skip to content

Dr Aria Sabit and Seven Years Ago

February 5, 2017


Today, Super Bowl Sunday, February 5, 2017, Dr. Aria Sabit, 43, is in jail for fraud: on January 9, 2017, he was sentenced to prison for 20 years.

But seven years ago, on Friday February 5, 2010, Dr. Sabit was busy saving my husband’s life when he broke his neck doing a bicycle stunt during a rehearsal. (Read an account here).

It was just by chance that Dr Sabit was not only on-call at the hospital but he was in surgery when my husband arrived by ambulance with a broken C-2 also known as “the hangman’s break.” It’s called that because that’s what happens when someone is in a noose: when a C2 breaks,  95% of the people die instantly; the other 5% who live are quadrapeligics. Of those 5% who live, 3% are not in wheelchairs but have only 25% mobility in their neck because it is fused. (Read about synchoncity in a depth psychological account of the accident and the aftermath here and here.

Dr Sabit was new to the practice; in fact this was his first job following his various residencies. He worked a lot and was on call a lot. As soon as he came out of surgery and reviewed Marsh’s files, he said he had three options, and none of them were good: while Marsh wasn’t at risk to lose his life, he had a 60% chance of losing his mobility. That’s scary to hear.

Dr Sabit explained that he had three options: fuse from the front, fuse from the back, or dislocate the jaw, move the bones into place, and once it healed enough, then fuse with less risk. During one of his residencies, he had observed this technique on a professional football player who broke his C2 during a game.

As Marsh had always been athletic, practiced yoga, never smoked, and had healed well from other previous broken bones, Dr Sabit thought Marsh might be a candidate for this procedure with a chance of better mobility but he wouldn’t know for sure until he got into the operating room.

While I know people personally who have suffered terribly because of Dr Sabit’s fraud, and I am sorry for their pain, I am grateful that Dr Sabit knew about this procedure and chose to use it on Marshall who healed perfectly and never required any more surgery.

Here’s a news report from the Ventura County Star.

Here’s another news report about the sentencing.


2 Comments leave one →
  1. Big Monkey permalink
    February 6, 2017 8:21 am

    I’m really glad Marshall lived to tell, thank’s for sharing your story. Love You:)

  2. February 8, 2017 1:22 pm

    Life is much more fun on this side of the grass so to speak.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Sammy's Gourmet Blog

Feed your dog with love and a wise heart.

One "L" Michele's

"Bucketlist" Adventures

Vinos y Pasiones

Aprendé sobre vinos, gastronomía y turismo. Mirá la Vida en modo positivo.


Smile! You’re at the best site ever

Best Tanzania Travel Guides

from Kilimanjaro to the Serengeti and beyond


The Best Guide in Tanzania

Pull That Cork

Wine makes our life more fun.

The Writer's Den

A Community for Writers

Always Ravenous

Adventures in Food and Wine

Joy of Wine

"Wine cheereth God and man." -- Judges 9:13

Vineyard Son Alegre

Organic Wine And Olive Oil From Santanyí, Mallorca (Spain)

L.M. Archer

wordsmith | consumer, b2b + b2c

What's in that Bottle?

Better Living Through Better Wine!


My humble wine blog

Jenny True

An excruciatingly personal food blog


When food and wine click!

The Flavor of Grace

Helene Kremer's The Flavor of Grace

The Swirling Dervish

Wine Stories, Food Pairings, and Life Adventures


Living La Vida Vino!

Dracaena Wines

Our Wines + Your Moments = Great Memories


a reason for wine


A Wine Drinker Rambling about Wine

Drifting Through

Welcome to the inner workings of my mind

Sonya Huber

books, essays, etc.


More People, More Wine

The Weekly Sift

making sense of the news one week at a time

poor mexican gone

Yesterday's stories shed light on the way forward


A Song in Every Glass

Cindy Ross

Author | Speaker


Get your copy of Mile 445 today at!

Laura Grace Weldon

Free Range Learning, Creative Living, Gentle Encouragement, Big Questions, Poetry, Occasional Drollery

From Insults To Respect

A Guide To Anger And Conflict Resolution

Wes Chyrchel

Consultant · Early Stage Advisor · Project Advisor

Burners.Me: Me, Burners and The Man

Snarky. Cheeky. Grumpy. Dopey. Never Bashful.

L'esprit de Vin

A wine blog with food for thought...

The Wine Wankers

G’day, you’re at the best wine blog ever! We're all about wine; without the wankery.

Wine Verbiage

verbiage about wine & life

%d bloggers like this: