Thankful for writers: “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.” Cynthia Ozick

November 26, 2009

One of my favorite cartoons, Mutts by Patrick McDonnell, offers this quote today by Cynthia Ozick: “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.”

I take for granted the comics, I admit it. Mutts is one my special pleasures in life, so much so that I have bought several of his books like The Gift of Nothing and Hug Time and gifted them to friends. His work consistently reminds us to pay attention to the small joys of life. Here he is reading his book, Hug Time:

And while I never take for granted hugs (especially the ones from my small boy!), I do take books for granted yet I could not imagine a life without being surrounded by all my precious books which take me on so many adventures.

Books are one of the most precious gifts you can give. I encourage you to seek out your local bookstore, browse around, and buy some used, new or remaindered books for eveyone on your list! Pair the book with a small baked good–my recipe above for cranberry pecan pumpkin bread is always a winner! For the holidays, I bake the batter in “star” shaped aluminum foil muffin cups.

Nothing like a new book (to you!) and a treat to enjoy with it! Please come back and let me know how your mufins and bread come out! Yummy, I’m sure!

PS I’m also grateful to alpha inventions for sending me new traffic and commenters! let’s not take the traffic for granted; let’s keep the ball rolling by submitting blogs with great, fresh content, and by supporting each other with reads and comments!

Thanksgiving 2009–yep this is a rerun from Thanksgiving 2008! Not sure if I’ll get a chance to post something new!

1. November 29, 2008 9:44 pm

I’m grateful for people like you. The fact that you can see the true value, and potential in things is a true gift.

2. November 29, 2008 9:52 pm

thanks, Cheru! It means a lot to me that you came round to my blog and told me so! it’s a way cool thing you’re doing and the way it’s keeping you on your toes, I am sure it is consuming huge volumes of your time!

3. November 30, 2008 12:33 am

Hey you, I’ve been taking a break from blogging but just came back and found myself bouncing around alpha inventions. How? I don’t know but it led me back to you. Great to be back and to see you are still kicking butt.

4. November 30, 2008 12:36 am

thanks, Rick! I’ve been meaning to get by and see what’s happening around your place–how’s that baby? not so little any more i’ll bet! i’ll head over there right now, in fact! thanks for stopping by!

(btw, did you get a chance to check out all the broadsides i have posted now? i’ve been doing movies too–maybe i could do one with your work…hmmn? like i did with reed seifer’s in the state of optimism piece)

5. 94stranger permalink
    November 30, 2008 12:38 am

The gift of nothing – yes, that resonates with me. As for books… for writers, I think not to read at all is an excellent recipe…

‘For writers, not to read at all is the best policy: discuss!’

On the other hand, I cheat by reading (skimming I should say) blog writing.

6. Elli permalink
    November 30, 2008 1:42 am

Hehehehe nice story I just miss my grandmas lap. Thanx 4 U’r comment & no I did not made that flag is by an Iranian artist her name is Sara Rahbar and you can find some of her are at http://www.payvand.com/news/08/mar/1299.html

7. November 30, 2008 5:41 am

I’d love it if you did something with my work. I haven’t checked out the broadsides but I will on my return visit. We are staffing the shelter tonigt as the person who was to do it is sick. But yes, please feel free to use my work in yours. I love collaborations.

8. November 30, 2008 6:06 am

Hey you’ve made the rounds on all my blogs! Quite a task… LOL and yes, it is keeping me busier than I thought having four blogs. I’m still entertaining the idea of another, but I don’t think I could handle it!

I love your blogs and your comments! Thank you.:)

9. November 30, 2008 9:50 pm

How amazing that you should post this piece just as I am signing and sending you your gift of appreciation which I will not name for fear of being accussed of self-promotion, hahahaha. It’s on it’s way.

10. December 1, 2008 1:51 am

Oh thank you thank you thank you, Paul! I am thrilled to think the book is traveling its way to me as I type! Time is not linear but space does require traveling through!

j.k., I have enjoyed discovering your several blogs! And as you are discovering, I have a few myself!

Rick, I will keep your work in mind when I go to do another slideshow with music kinda move…I am thinking your work might lend itself to some of the 315 poems!

11. January 15, 2009 3:13 am

Thanks for visiting No Tall Poppies, which is a sister site to Build Your Traffic. (http://www.is.gd/fJTa) As you can see, we are writing a series of articles on how to get the best of Alphainventions and you are welcome to join our mailing list – so we can let you know when they are updated. Lessons 1 and 2 are onsite now – lesson 3 is coming soon.

I recommend you let your friends know about Build Your Traffic as well, because this is somewhere everyone can learn how to develop their online presence – starting from scratch – if that’s where you are. Maybe you could add it to your blogroll, now you have checked it out.

Cheers
    Lesley
    Lesson 1 http://www.is.gd.fhzs

12. November 24, 2009 12:02 am

The presents I remember most from my childhood were books and I’ve still got most of them. Thanks for the clip.