Poetry from the 3:15 Experiment August 2, 2009: A facility with language

And he was pushing
pushing pushing her words
around with his fork.

It remains to be seen
what it was they were
really arguing about it

It always starts with the words
and goes downhill from there.

Who it was who really had
the facility with language

And who it was who was going to
eat who’s words

Those words rolling around the plate
juicey like a blueberry
meaty like a pea

She could feel them
waking on her tongue
slip away.

c. Gwendolyn Alley aka Art Predator
3:15am August 2, 2009, Ventura CA

I am working in earnest (finally!) on a manuscript of my 3:15 poetry from 2001-2009, titled Love and Terror at 3:15am. It will have 100 poems from nine years of doing the 3:15 Experiment plus one intermezzo poem per intervening year, to total 108 poems in all. The book will have an introduction which discusses the experiment (I’m hoping Danika Dinsmore who started the Experiment in 1993 will do the honors!) and an afterward about Night Terrors which will include a few posts about them from this blog.

My goal is to have it completed before the year is out. Since the writing is already done, and I plan to organize it in chronological order, it’s just a matter of selecting which ones. Many of the poems in the book have already been posted at one time or another on this blog; the ones that haven’t yet, I will probably put up as part of the Monday Poetry Train (where poets from around the globe post links to recent work–go for a ride and check it out!)

As I go through them, debating the various merits of each, I plan to ask you, my loyal reader, for your opinion about which ones I should include or not.  I hope you will participate!

So here’s a start–I hope you will take part in this quick poll to let me know whether or not you think this poem should be in the mss (manuscript) or not. Thanks!

1. September 28, 2009 8:07 pm

I voted yes definitely. It’s a cool poem, the words take on a life of their own. There is a very clever of a narrative about a relationship and an idea about words themselves. I like this one a lot.

2. valeriekampmeier permalink
    September 28, 2009 8:34 pm

This poem is wonderful! I vote yes… although I haven’t seen the others yet ….

May I point out one little typo though (should be “eat whose words”)? Thought I’d better get in quick before it’s preserved for immortality… ;)

3. September 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks Paul and Valerie! It is always such a kick to go back and see what I’ve written after the month is over. While I did post 3? 4? from this year’s experiment, I did posted them soon after writing them and knew which ones.

This was the first one I wrote during this year’s experiment, and I think it’s a hoot! Glad you do too.

Val, I suspected it was the wrong form of the word but part of the experiment is to post it as it is written…this way makes me also think of the contraction “who is” words. Also, Val, I know you have a new blog–you should get Robert to help you to link it to your gr/avatar so we can go see who you are and what you’re up to!!

4. September 28, 2009 9:52 pm

I love the idea of words on a plate! Such a cool metaphor!

5. September 29, 2009 2:55 pm

Yes, I like this poem. I think it should be included. It is very unique, a creative way of describing something mundane.

6. Jay permalink
    September 29, 2009 5:25 pm

Yes. Wonderful.

7. September 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Thanks, Jay, Jane and Linda, for weighing in–looks like this poem is destined for publication!

Thanks, Jay for making the journey from facebook to comment on the blog! Appreciate it! And thanks Jane and Linda for coming over from the Poetry Train–Jane, I think this is your first time here–welcome!

8. September 29, 2009 6:00 pm

LIke the way words are pushed!

a single thought

9. November 15, 2009 3:33 pm

#

AFTER CONCEPTUALISM, MATERIALITY AND CONCEPTUALITY HAS NO TENSION BUT ONLY MOEMNT-TO-MOMENT CONTEMPLATION ON REAL AND ACTUAL REALITY-REALITY-DISSPPEARANCE-PREJUDICES INSIGHT.WOW!

THIS IS WHAT I CALL ‘UNCREATIVE MEDICINE! ! ! ! ! ! !

Introduction to a post-conceptual poetry

a POST-CONCEPTUAL POETRY IS UNCREATIVE MEDICINE FOR CREATIVE CONCEPTUAL BOREDOM! ! ! ! ! POSTING CONTEMPORARY INTO THE BORDER-AWARENESS OF CONCEPTUALISM TO GET OUT OF THE TRAP OF CONCEPTUAL FRAME OR TESTING THE CONCEPTUAL FRAME.WHAT IS A CONCEPT?
    NOV 10,2010
    YANGON, MYANMAR
    CRAZY FOX INTERNET CAFE
    (1) analysis of consciousness: sensational realities is just illusive run-away, no existence but the engagement of mind and sensational objects.
    (2) mind is the open abstraction which is depending on sensation to draw picture of prejudices; the management of or rearrange of prejudices lures the person who makes poetry.
    (3) so, the important thin line between sensations and mind should be awared or else the conceptual uncertainty cannot be realized.
    (4) reexamining the conceptual frame or conceptual identity should always be contemplated in post-conceptual poetics.
    (5) it is not the improvisation which make poetic text but the skilled contemplative abstraction-led silence play and make the world of uncreative capacity, the deepest core of the concept democracy in post-conceptual poetics.
    (6) a machinery of building a house within and outside the house with and without home and homelessness.
    (7) a human machinery and an existentialist’s consciousness on emotion is recognised in a postmodern deconstructive way.

Nyein Way

10. January 1, 2010 2:14 pm

post-conceptual poetics is that of forms with formlessness and formlessness with forms-the revelation of artistic uncreation.

1. Global Voices Online » Africa: Predators of Art, Entrepreneurship and Poet Ramblings
  2. Global Voices in Italiano » Africa: predatori d’arte, capacità imprenditoriali e divagazioni poetiche