Twitter “Magnetic” Poetry Site: a sandbox for verse & 7 new “haiku”

May 4, 2009

twittermaggrab by Art PredatorIt started with a tweet from Guy Kawasaki. I checked out the link and responded:

@guykawasaki too fun! fellow poets, have you seen this? twitter refrig magnet poetry http://adjix.com/59g9

The site allows you to create 120 character poems using words which look like the familiar ones on your fridge from your box of Magnetic Poetry. You simply drag the words of your choice into the box, arrange them in the order you desire, check how it’s looks in the left bottom corner, and submit to their twitter account OR to yours.  If you don’t have a twitter account, you should still be able to access the live feed to read what people are writing and posting.magpoetrysample

If you don’t like the words that you’re supplied, you can click “swap words” and new ones show up. The words and the process are accompanied with music which at first I liked but then found distracting.

That day I created a few twitter magnet poems choosing the “haiku” format of 5-7-5 and found time evaporating so I had to de-magnetize myself.

Really, it’s fun! If you are on twitter, you should check it out. If you’re a poet who doesn’t see any purpose for twitter, this might be it. If you want to save the poem, figure out a good method for you (and tell me!)

In any case, here are a few of my twitter magnet poems for this week’s Poetry Train:

ArtPredator shadow harlot melt / universe ferocious pie / fresh rampant speak http://is.gd/8Vy2

fat eye candy haunt / we broken down surround melt / clip every night cake

listen poison eye / brilliant universe laments / rampant bug, ice kill

poison her sister / his too kill flower tree fish / web which has ghost hearts

poetry come up / and fire her asinine heart / feel flick fleck we fall

fever broken speak / trouble fool feel miss spun voice / squirm with hard fist peace

Well that’s only 6 right now. I’ve done a few others but I don’t know where they landed. When I find one more, I’ll add it!

Keep track of yours and drop them off here!

For another poetry site full of prompts and links, check out Read Write Poem.

1. Esther Poyer permalink
    May 4, 2009 7:22 am

Hi! I managed a sort of haiku, dedicated to my son.

no less stiff they, eye /
    growl, lament the bleeding bone /
    young brother blaze heart

Will be back to read more about Burning Man.. I would love to go one day.
    Thanks much.

2. May 4, 2009 7:56 am

I’ve been on Twitter for several months now and experimented in the short form. It ended up totally changing the way I do my blog posts.
    I’m certain the short flash-like pieces are the future of literature. Whether this is a good thing or bad, I’m not sure.

3. May 4, 2009 11:55 am

Good morning Art Predator~ What a great post. I just recently joined Twitter and this little gem is definitely going to take up some of my time. Thanks for sharing it with us. I think that some of those haikus you came up with using this program was pretty interesting. Hope all is well with you. Have a nice day.

4. May 4, 2009 7:40 pm

Hey, cool banana’s…
    and don’t you just love haiku?
    give this one a tweak!

5. May 4, 2009 7:54 pm

Thanks, everybody, for stopping by and commenting! So nice when folks who pop in leave a treat behind!

Esther, Burning Man isn’t for everyone–but for some of us, it’s the best time ever full of art and imagination and fascinating people. At BM I feel like I live more during my time there than I do during the rest of the year (and I have a pretty full life!)

Anthony, I had noticed that your blog had changed and hadn’t attributed it to twitter but now you point that out, I think I understand.

Michelle, glad you enjoyed the post! Follow me and I’ll follow you as they say!

Andy, haiku is an interesting form that pops up for me often by surprise. But this tool makes it intentional–I think twitter lends itself well to haiku!

6. May 5, 2009 1:23 am

I will definitely try it out and come back!

opposites

7. swankie permalink
    May 6, 2009 1:58 am

trouble in the cake
    miserable willed brother
    day in the wild

8. May 7, 2009 6:34 am

thanks Swankie for playing along–a haiku 5-7-5 even!!

I look forward to seeing what you come up with and bring back, Gautami!

9. May 8, 2009 1:38 am

Fun stuff! I’m still obsessing on short form using my own words, but … I am easily distracted and might just check it out.

I bridge my shorts to Twitter from Identi.ca, which is so much smaller that it feels a little more homey to me. Larger audience at Twitter, though; that’s for sure.

10. May 8, 2009 12:19 pm

This was fun– I don’t twitter but here is what I ended up with:

breath for bone /
    like /
    hand out window /
    slow

11. May 12, 2009 7:59 pm

What a fun new toy (read: timesink)! My haiku:

I shiver after
    her delicious secret cold
    color of perhaps

12. May 12, 2009 10:51 pm

Yaya, Pam & Chicklegirl! Thanks for playing along and sharing your twitter magnet poems! I love them both!

Deb, I know what you mean, but I found it super fun to play with what they send to you too.

13. Roberto permalink
    May 16, 2009 9:07 pm

hello tell me what your page to translate into Italian Gracci besos
    Roberto