Help Art Predator Land the Best Job in the World–in AUSTRALIA!

January 14, 2009

img_heart_reef_small1

My Australian friend, confidant, fellow blogger and poet Paul Squires of GingaTao.com emailed me to say:

Here is the perfect job and coincidentally the perfect job for you. It’s a job for a blogger who loves the outdoors. It’s yours for the taking. Apply! It’s the greatest job in the history of jobs ever.

Curious, of course, the link led me to the following story:

An Australian state is offering internationally what it calls “the best job in the world” — earning a top salary for lazing around a beautiful tropical island for six months.

The job pays 150,000 Australian dollars (105,000 US dollars) and includes free airfares from the winner’s home country to Hamilton Island on the Great Barrier Reef, Queensland’s state government announced on Tuesday.

In return, the “island caretaker” will be expected to stroll the white sands, snorkel the reef, take care of “a few minor tasks” — and report to a global audience via weekly blogs, photo diaries and video updates.//www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g255074-Great_Barrier_Reef_Queensland.html

The successful applicant, who will stay rent-free in a three-bedroom beach home complete with plunge pool and golf buggy, must be a good swimmer, excellent communicator and be able to speak and write English.

“They’ll also have to talk to media from time to time about what they’re doing so they can’t be too shy and they’ll have to love the sea, the sun, the outdoors,” said acting state Premier Paul Lucas.

“The fact that they will be paid to explore the islands of the Great Barrier Reef, swim, snorkel and generally live the Queensland lifestyle makes this undoubtedly the best job in the world.”

Lucas said the campaign was part of a drive to protect the state’s 18 billion Australian dollar a year tourism industry during the tough economic climate caused by the global financial meltdown.

“Traditional tourism advertising just doesn’t cut it sometimes and we are thinking outside the box by launching this campaign.”

Queensland Tourism Minister Desley Boyle said some people might question whether it was risky to let an unknown person become an unofficial tourism spokesperson for the state.

“I think the biggest risk will be that the successful candidate won’t want to go home at the end of the six months,” she said.

“This is a legitimate job which is open to anyone and everyone.”

Applications are open until February 22. Eleven shortlisted candidates will be flown to Hamilton Island in early May for the final selection process and the six month contract will commence on July 1.

Sounds great doesn’t it? So then I went to Islandreefjob.com, a site so popular it keeps crashing. But I persevered and this is what I learned:

Want the best job in the world? If you enjoy new experiences and you can spare six months to enjoy life above the Great Barrier Reef, you’re already in with a good chance. It’s easy to apply.

Step 1: Create a video application (in English and in 60 seconds or less)

In an entertaining and engaging way, tell us why you’re the best person for the job and demonstrate your knowledge of the Islands of the Great Barrier Reef.

Step 2: Fill out a brief application form and upload your video

Tourism Queensland will create a short list of 50 candidates who will submit a short personal profile, to help us narrow the candidates for the interview stage.

Eleven candidates will be invited to the Islands of the Great Barrier Reef for an interview from 3 to 7 May 2009. So, if you want the best job in the world, make sure you’re available to travel to Queensland for the interviews. You’ll also need to be available to start work on the 1st July 2009.

So how can you help me get the best job in the world?

Tourism Queensland will select ten candidates and one Wild Card candidate will be selected by the world – so make sure you encourage all your friends and family to vote.

If the site is up and running, it shows the latest applicants and how many views each have had (bikini babes of course have the highest…)

I’ll let you know where to go, when, and how to help me land the best job in the world! In the meantime, suggestions for my 60 second video are welcomed! (Matt Harding, are you available to show me that chicken dance?)
If you’ve been following my blog for any time, you know that I have been looking for work–and not just looking for any old job, but for a “new path to the waterfall” to use Ray Carver’s words (the whole poem is here). If I land this job, it sure would be a new path to the waterfall! WOW!
  1. January 14, 2009 1:50 am

Wow! The Whitsundays are one of the most fabulous places on the planet. Pull out all the stops, get the job. I’ll see you there! (Don’t worry about the bikini babes, we already have plenty of those, it will be a communicator who gets the job and that’s you.)

2. January 14, 2009 9:56 am

I’ll vote for you! Paul’s right… you can’t write a blog with boobies…

I think you should hunt down Matt Harding and video yourself dancing with him. Then blog about it and put the video in your blog. Video yourself creating the blog and blog about that too. In your audition video, show the video of you blogging about the video you made with Matt Harding.

tah!

3. January 14, 2009 10:13 am

Fair dinkum!!!!! Crossing my fingers and toes for you.

4. Jason permalink
    January 14, 2009 3:21 pm

I saw this advertised on CNN yesterday.
    I bet you’d have a good shot.
    We’ll come visit in July!

5. January 14, 2009 4:19 pm

thanks, everybody! hmmn, i wonder where matt harding is dancing these days? maybe i can get him to come dance out at channel islands np?

be happy to host EVERYBODY–but you gotta blog about your visit too, of course!

6. January 15, 2009 6:14 am

just let me know when you need my vote!:)
    I’d tell them how my foreign (american) perspective because I can point to the potential tourist all the australian wonders from his perspective(as visitor) with the oh and ahs!

7. January 15, 2009 6:17 am

ok , what I meant is that I have the advatage to see this esperience through the eyes of the visitor!
    (sorry , I tend to forget that unlike Romanian , English structure does not let me change my mind on the meaning of the sentence in the midst of it )

8. thebestjobintheworldaustralia permalink
    January 15, 2009 10:01 am

Ok let face it, you and me not going to
    get that job offer by http://www.islandreefjob.com and $150,000 cash price

So I decided to move to Great Barrier Reef permanently by
    raising my own money and with your help and donation

You can find out more about me at http://thebestjobintheworldaustralia.wordpress.com/

Your help we can make it happen
    Jess

9. January 15, 2009 9:23 pm

Oh, your first pessimist. The more of them there are, the more joy there is in the winning, yayayaya.

10. January 16, 2009 6:56 pm

I wish you the best, Jess, with traveling wherever your heart desires!

Thanks Annamari for your support!