Last Day of 2008: Saturn Retrograde until May 2009–what does it mean?

December 31, 2008

If you look out into the sky at sunset during the last night of 2008 and the beginning of 2009, Venus shines bright in the west as the evening star, and the new crescent moon smiles.

But it is unseen Saturn retrograde in Virgo that’s setting off fireworks, making us plan ahead for wide-ranging changes.

According to Astrology.com, Saturn goes retrograde Dec.31, the last day of 2008 (which means it appears to go in reverse from our perspective–if you were on Saturn, of course, it would continue forward on its 28 or so year cycle around the sun.)

http://www.edwardroach.com/Saturn.html It seems a bit ominous, yes, after the year we’ve had? Almost like we’re gonna have to do it again. But no–this is to PREVENT us from having to.

While most astrologers will say it’s NOT a good time to go forward with new plans while lesson-teaching Saturn is retrograde in dutiful, organized Virgo, it is a great time to reflect on what you have been up to, to finish what you’ve begun, and to set plans for the future in place.

Now isn’t that what New Years is about anyway? Setting aside some time to reflect on the past year, to and lay goals for the coming year? Is this perfect timing or what?

To quote Astrology.com:

Saturn turns retrograde on the last day of 2008 and all of us will feel the energy of Saturn retrograde in Virgo in one way or another. Saturn is charged with the duty of teaching us our lessons in life — giving us the ability to grow and persevere, granting us the will to succeed and the strength to accomplish the tasks at hand. As we learn, we are rewarded by Saturn when the lesson or job is done.

The energy of Saturn retrograde is a fairly powerful force. This is an excellent time to grasp that retrograde energy, to bring projects to completion, and to let go of old problems and issues. By letting go of self-limitations, the future becomes more exciting and clear.

While this may not be the best time to launch new projects, it is a fabulous time to start working on those plans — particularly because of the Virgo energy entwined in this retrograde. The plans you make now, if the foundation you have built is solid, will most likely begin to manifest when Saturn goes direct on May 2 of 2009.

If you find this post of interest, you might also enjoy this post which discusses February 2009 astronomical and astrological events or this post: April Wrap Up :: May What’s Up Part 1– Astronomy, Astrology & Top Posts! Here you’ll find that while Saturn stopped going backward or retrograde May 2 (according to my information), it doesn’t begin moving forward until May 16.

Here’s another upodate as of May 15, 2009:

Saturn Moves Forward Again & so should you!

1. December 31, 2008 7:17 am

May this New Year bring many opportunities your way, to explore every joy of life and may your resolutions for the days ahead stay firm, turning all your dreams into reality and all your efforts into great achievements.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR…
    dINESH

2. j.k.lynn permalink
    December 31, 2008 8:09 pm

I love being able to come on here ans learn about astronomy, read about a random event or catch an interesting poem. You have such a neat blog! :)

3. January 1, 2009 12:35 am

Wow. I’m soooo glad I stopped in now instead of later as I had planned, art predator. You have a dyn-o-mite blog and I shall return here shortly! I enjoyed your take on Saturn Retrograde in Virgo. My, you are a positive and hope-generating person..:)

4. January 3, 2009 2:23 pm

“letting go of limitations”. you gotta love this stuff….

5. January 5, 2009 4:03 am

I disregarded a pointed bit of advice from my Chinese horoscope (check it on Facebook) about flying on Jan 1st. I arrived– barely OK, no sleep– but my case of wine didn’t. I’m about to go underground 6 join the bomb throwers.

6. January 5, 2009 7:43 pm

thanks, Dinesh, for the New Years wishes!

jk and janet, glad you find stuff of interest here in my eclectic kitchen of a blog!

marc, it’s all good.

ahh, david, i hope your case of wine turns up sooner rather than later!

thanks, everybody, for stopping by and commenting! may you have a wonderful new year!

7. February 9, 2009 12:30 am

yep this was the one.but i didn’t think it was new enough…but i am just a caveman what the hell do i know!

8. Harsha permalink
    March 13, 2009 5:38 am

Thanks for this great advice. I was in a very angry mood because of some professional matters. After looking at this page, I rearranged myself. Yes, I am contemplating on my life deeply and making elaborate plans.

9. Glenn permalink
    April 2, 2009 3:09 am

There is no astronomy here, just astrology.
    A big difference!
    The planets have no more influence on our lives, that I do in wishing the sun would stay up longer!
    I would much prefer to trust in the One who made the planets,than the thing that was made!
    Astrology pampers the ego, and dishes out stuff we like to hear the most……ourselves!

10. April 2, 2009 4:01 pm

Glenn, thanks for stopping by and for your comments.

The first paragraph identifies what one might see in the night sky on New Year’s Eve–star gazing is a form of astronomy.

I am sure many people agree with your opinion about astrology, however, on your last point, while I agree that astrology gives us advice about ourselves, many of us could use more advice in our lives! Esp advice which reminds us to reflect on what we’ve done in the past.

1. Astrology is Chinese Fortune Cookie… « IBY’s Island Universe