imagine peace: international day of peace today (& every day!)

September 21, 2008

Today, Sunday September 21, is International Peace Day. Yoko Ono has several projects worth checking into including 100 Acorns, and  Imagine Peace.And I love Reed Seifer’s “Wish Piece” inspired by her work.

Locally, folks are making peace flags, making music, and making connections with each other at the Harbor and at Libbey Bowl in Ojai.

The following video from Peace Tags illustrates how ordinary people participate to create and advocate for peace:

Others internationally are organizing a record breaking global playing of Bob Marley’s “One Love.” You can do your part by playing the video below:

We’re heading to the Hollywood Bowl to see Michael Franti and Spearhead, Ozomatli, Nortec Collective and Lila Downs. We’ve seen Michael Franti a few times, including an acoustic show and Q & A at Coachella. He has so much consciousness about what he does and how that I am excited to be able to attend this show tonight thanks to winning tickets on KCRW. It will be a lot of fun and thought-provoking as well. The video of Michael Franti’s new single “Say Hey” from his new album Rebel Rockers is a blast!. I LOVE THIS SONG!! I can’t wait to dance to it tonight!!

I listened to Nic Harcourt interview him on KCRW on Friday Sept. 19; it should show up in their archives soon and it’s definitely worth listening to.

International Day of Peace is held every year around this time; this year it coincides with the equinox, making it an even more powerful time for change.

In order to participate in International Peace Day, you don’t have to join others, although it can feel good! What is important is to make a commitment to peace–and to change. I am going to take a moment, also, to honor the passing of summer and welcome fall.

1. September 21, 2008 11:31 pm

Peace is lovely if transient. Happy peace day to you too. (Is it a coincidence that peace day come so soon after International Talk Like A Pirate Day?)

2. paxcult permalink
    September 21, 2008 11:45 pm

Ah! I was tempted to run down to that show tonite. Alas, studying has kept me in.
    I’ve been listening to the new album all week. And what a line-up for tonite! Fusible and Nortec are really fun too.

The rest of my Ventucky is up at a burner wedding in SF. It’s lonely today.

I like Paul’s mention of peace, above. Transient peace, unfortunately, really is the only way it can be. This world and it’s duality, it’s tense inbetweens; sometimes I wish the calamitous bang would just residuate already.

The burn of the sting, the rubber band string, reverberate and snap; life is like that!

3. September 22, 2008 1:29 pm

Thanks for the link to 100 Acorns – love it! And peace to you, artpredator. It’s one day past Peace Day and I’m feeling rather sublime. Fall is my favorite season and I’m celebrating that today.

4. September 22, 2008 4:43 pm

Nice to see you around here again, Julia!

Yes, Paxcult, I too agree with Paul that peace is transient–it is up to us to keeping moving on the path!

5. September 23, 2008 12:04 pm

I love Lennon’s Imagine. A profound poetic piece.

Peace of course needs to be contrasted in order to be appreciated, but I feel there are other ways of contrasting it than physically challenging its duration and making it transient. If only we keep our history in mind, the contrast can be overwhelming.

6. September 23, 2008 4:43 pm

good point, Sumedh, that we can contrast present feelings or experiences of peace with previous ones and with experiences of conflict

and history provides us with plenty examples!