how to have happy dreams: change the channel

March 11, 2008

someone did a search on “how to have happy dreams” and found my blog.

just in case that person comes back, or you yourself want to know, this is something i have learned to do–to have lucid dreams.

i thought it would help with the night terrors. unfortunately, since night terrors aren’t dreams but essentially hallucinations that occur before REM or the dream stage of sleep, lucid dreaming techniques don’t help. lucid dreaming has helped me with many nightmares. i might have some strange dreams (see the post “antlers on my head, silene in my teeth”!) and some horrible night terrors, but i rarely have bad dreams or nightmares, and when i do, i take control of the dream and change it. sometimes the dream will scare me enough to wake me up so i go back into the dream on purpose to change it.

my 4 year old son was waking up in the night with scary dreams so this is what i taught him:

change the dream.

it is actually that simple.

every night as part of our ritual for going to sleep, i ask him:

what do we do if we have scary dreams?

we change them to happy dreams.

but mom, he said at first, they’re still scary.

it takes practice, my son, practice. just like learning to ride a bike, you’ll get better and better each time you practice using love to change the dream to one you want to have. when you’re in a dream, and you don’t like how it’s going, you can change direction, you can tell the dream where you want to go and what you want to do! you can do anything you want in your dreams.

so now when he goes to sleep i ask:

what do we do about scary dreams?

change the channel! he says triumphantly.

with lots of love, we agree.

1. March 12, 2008 2:58 pm

I also learned to lucid dream early on in my life, as a result of my frequent nightmares, and I am trying to teach my four-year-old daughter to do the same.

2. March 12, 2008 3:37 pm

that’s great! i learned about lucid dreaming in my teens but it wasn’t until my late 20s when then night terrors started up intensely that i worked on lucid dreaming.

i wish someone had taught me when i was 4!

interesting that this topic rarely comes up in parenting circles…

3. james permalink
    January 1, 2010 10:31 pm

i have some advice once you have learned how to controle your dream’s and you want to wake up lie on the floor in your dream and then close your eyes when you open them you should be awake i found this tecnuqe when i was in a dream a bad one i could’nt changer it so i lay down and closed my eyes and tried to wake up and you know what it worked so in future u can use this one some times i wake up in the night it might be because i use the wake up thing so yh just thought i would tell you about it

4. March 7, 2012 3:58 am

Is this from A Course In Miracles? I always strive to happy happy dreams! Thanks for posting.

5. March 7, 2012 6:19 am

Nope, based on my own experience and readings here and there that have advised me.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

6. November 7, 2013 7:04 pm

I have extreme lucid dreams. It is said that being aware of your dreams and manipulating them is a sign of higher consciousness. Are prophetic dreams lucid dreams or do they fall into another category? I have recently became able to read writing as were for it had always been blurry or scrambled. I am communicating with the divine is the only way to define what I am experiencing. Have you had any experience with this phenomenon?

1. how to have happy dreams: change the channel | 333TheHouseOfPayneSantuaryOfGod333